Two things before I begin.
One; Cameron is a sweet talker and, two; I have an overdeveloped sense of curiosity. These are the reasons I am writing today. Let me explain and perhaps my meaning will be clear.
Let's begin last Saturday morning. I went for a bike ride with my friend Tom. It was the Foxy Fall Classic in Davis, Ca. Tom and I decided to ride the metric century which is supposed to be 62.1 miles. As it turns out the Foxy people (which sounds weird) lied to me because the ride was actually 68.8 miles long! Why not call it a 111k ride? That would look so much better on a t-shirt.
Now I had great intentions of training for this ride, but life got in the way and I wound up being on the road for personal and business reasons for the two weeks prior to the bike ride. And, as everyone knows, when you are on the road, you eat terribly and so did I.
Despite my lack of preparation and internal sense of foreboding, I was determined to go on the ride because I paid like 40 bucks and I wasn't letting that go to waste!
It was a beautiful morning on Saturday, I felt fine on the ride until around mile 30 where I began to feel like I was going to die an excruciating death. My back screamed at me, my legs decided they were tired of being oppressed and they began to fight me with a fervor usually reserved for zealots or the insane. In fact, my legs began to act as if they were the Alamo pioneers and they fought the rest of my body like it was the Mexican army!
I trudged my way through the remaining miles and life was good as we got to the end. After all, when you remember the Alamo, you will remember the Mexicans won (sort of, they were destroyed shortly after, which means that is still a valid analogy for me!)
Forward to Sunday afternoon.
Cameron and Rebecca came over to my house and spent the day with my family and me. Cameron began to sweet talk to me about this crazy blog thing they are doing and how they logged the progress of their diet and excercise routines. I played like I was interested and he asked me if I would like to participate. I told him that I would not like to participate and that he should shut it!
I thought that was the end of that, but here is the kicker. Cameron told me that the group weighs in every Monday to track their progress. Now, I had no intention of weighing myself this morning (ignorance truly does equal bliss sometimes.) But man oh man, there is something irresistable about not wanting to get close to the scale that made me go get on it, hence, my overdeveloped sense of curiosity got the best of me. I could not avoid stepping on my scale even though I desperately wanted not to see what it had to show.
301 pounds is what I was desperate not to see!!!!!!!
No wonder my legs hated me! And how on earth did my bike survive the abuse it had to take on that ride? HOW DID I EVEN FINISH?
So here I am Cameron, you sweet talking guilt monger! I am motivated and ready to decrease my mass and make myself presentable again. I am 6'4" and I would really like to get down to around 240 lbs. That is a HUGE amount of weight to lose. At 240 pounds I would not be a slight man so let's just set the goal there for now and then say "let's see."
Will one of you please pass the celery?
-JWH
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hey you make 3 bills look good! You have taken the step off the ledge and now gravity will take its effect. I like the aggressive goal and you will get there with a little discipline.
Post a Comment