Saturday, May 23, 2009

Long Runs

So I am working on my next goal which will be a half-marathon. This is very intimidating to me. I have adjusted my training program after my race on the 16th. I did not finish like I would have liked.

I have been running 5 miles twice a week. One run will incorporate hills and the other will be more of speed work. I may do this at a shorter distance. On Saturday, I do my long run. This week it was 8 miles. Since I know that I can do 6.2, going up to 7 didn't seem like enough mental and physical challenge. To ease my mind a little, I decided to run down a road for 4 and turn around. I just didn't feel comfortable doing a loop in case something happened and I was far from home. I ran with 12 oz of G2 for hydration and GU for my half way point. I dropped off the bottle at 3 miles and took the GU at 4. I had enough energy to finish the race and drank about 6 to 8 oz. Of course bottoms up at the end.

I was thinking about mile 5 that I might be able to do the run in 1 hr 15 min. I was not worried about time, just trying to keep a steady 9:20 mile. I actually finished at 1:14:14, 9:15 miles. I was surprised at how my energy level was sustained as I focused on form and pace.

My IPOD recording the mile markers - 9:17, 10:14, 9:09, 9:02, 9:13, 9:13, 9:15, 9:19

I weighed in at 204 before my run and 201 after. That is a lot of sweat!

1 comment:

Knudson said...

Great Job Earl! You are very steady in your pace! Eight miles is great! We need to find a half marathon somewhere now! Thanks for the suggestion about using the overpass for some "hill" training! It worked pretty good!
Later,
Cameron